What is OFF THE STREETS?
OFF THE STREETS is all volunteer, working to help neighbors in our communities “off the streets”, which means out of shelters and temporary living arrangements like hotels and into permanent housing. With the right support, these transitions can happen in as quickly as one or two days.
OFF THE STREETS provides homeless families with:
- Encouragement and spiritual support to help them escape the trap of homelessness
- Assistance with budgeting and financial planning
- Security deposits
- Furniture and household items
We are a 501(c)(3) with no paid staff. We take no government funding and have virtually no overhead costs. All money, furniture, and other living needs are donated.
Since we were founded OFF THE STREETS has taken over 1,500 people Off the Streets into housing – in high cost of living and supposedly unaffordable regions in Connecticut, California and Pennsylvania!!! YOU TOO CAN DO THIS WHEREVER YOU LIVE!!!!!
How Can I Learn More?
- If you live in an area of one of our 4 chapters, volunteer !
- Volunteer your time, talent or treasure – we need them all
- If you don’t have an OTS Chapter near you, START YOUR OWN! It is surprisingly easy !!!
- OTS will help you every step of the way
- The first step will be to read the book or email us at OffTheStreetsNowStartup@gmail.com
Help the Homeless OFF THE STREETS One Person at a Time is our very own publication (see link on right to order your copy). It addresses the issues of homelessness as well as the history of our organization, and shows how you can start a chapter of OFF THE STREETS in your community.
See OTS volunteer Susan Shaner’s interview with Danbury volunteers Joe Simons and Chris Baliko
Click below for Crossroads Magazine feature on Off The Streets.