February 11, 2018
Dear OTS Donors and Supporters,
2017 was a milestone year for us. We placed our 500th homeless individual into permanent housing and we raised enough money to place 500 more!
We now want to focus on making it easier for our clients to find affordable housing by introducing The OTS Landlord Partnership Program.
We envision this to be a simple, focused, and easily searchable database of landlords in Orange County and Riverside County that our clients can use in their search for affordable housing.
Our clients face many barriers in their quest to escape homelessness, including poor credit, prior evictions, and their current financial crisis which caused their homelessness.
Currently, we help our clients overcome these barriers in 3 primary ways:
- First, we build a detailed personalized budget so they know how much rent they can afford to minimize their chances of becoming homeless again.
- Then, after they find a rental that fits this budget we pay their security deposit directly to the landlord to get them over that initial financial hurdle so they can move in.
- Lastly, after they move in we help them save a significant amount of money by fully furnishing their new rental with furniture and household goods so they can have a fresh start in life.
And the great news about this approach is that nearly 95% of our clients remain housed after we help them.
However, the biggest barrier they face is finding affordable housing with landlords who will rent to them given their credit history.
Therefore, we are adding The OTS Landlord Partnership Program as a 4th element to our process to help our clients escape homelessness.
We empathize with landlords because when they rent to someone they take on all the risk. So why would a landlord consider renting to one of our OTS clients? Let’s take a look at our results.
Since 2014 we have worked together with nearly 200 landlords in helping over 500 individuals escape homelessness — and together we’ve been thrilled to witness that nearly 95% of our clients remain successfully housed. And there have been many times where a landlord has shared with us that they rented to one of our clients because OTS was involved.
We strongly believe that our intense focus on personal responsibility, fiscal discipline and planning, the direct financial assistance we provide with security deposits and furniture, and the high success rate of our clients remaining housed, may provide prospective landlords the additional confidence they need to rent to someone that OTS has worked with through our proven process.
This is where all of you – our donors, supporters, and partner agencies – can play a part in the creation of this new initiative.
We’ve listed some simple actions you can take:
- Please forward the link to this web page to any landlords that you know in Orange County and Riverside County who might be interested in partnering with OTS.
- If you are a landlord, we invite you to join this new OTS program by clicking the green “Landlord Partners” button on this page. to be added to our database.
- If you are a realtor, mortgage broker, property owner, property manager, or anyone else in the housing industry, please forward this web page to your professional networks to spread the word that OTS is seeking to partner with landlords to help house the homeless.
We are excited about the launch of this program and, based on prior experience, expect it will be a journey of discovery, learning, and adjusting until we find the right solution.
We look forward to working with all of you to make this a reality.
From all of us at OTS — Thank you!