Off the Streets works to get currently homeless people out of shelters or off the streets and into housing.
Off the Streets BFT can act very quickly — the transition from homelessness to a furnished room or apartment can actually take place within a day or two. We provide the following kinds of help:
- Moral support and encouragement — to help people believe that they can escape the trap of homelessness, and to help them retain their housing
- Security deposits and other financial support
- Furniture and household items
Off the Streets is completely volunteer based. Although we team with local social service agencies, we have no paid staff and minimal overhead. Off the Streets is operating in the following locations:
- Danbury, CT
- Lancaster, PA
- Bridgeport, Fairfield, & Trumbull, CT
- Huntington Beach, CA
- Additional locations in California TO BE ANNOUNCED
Since our founding in 2009, Off the Streets has assisted over 336 people, including taking 178 people off the streets and into housing.